Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Jolee Island

Sandestin has an island.  It's a peaceful piece of land where so far, I've not encountered another soul.  I'm sure that isn't the case in high season, so I'm taking advantage of it now.

In French, one of the few words I actually remember, "jolie" means "pretty" or "nice".  I'm guessing that might be what whoever named this island was aiming for.  Although, given the way they spelled it, possibly the last name of someone.

Let me take you on a tour, starting on a sunny day when I walked past the island entrance and ending with today's cloudy photo trip (click to enlarge):



Entrance


Cross the wooden bridge over the bay


Choctawhatchee Bay


One of the walking paths on the island


Berries, foliage


Even a play area for the kids


A wooden pathway on the edge of the water circumnavigates the island


The bridge as viewed from the island


Leaving the island

There are also picnic tables and grills on the island (and "facilities") so it wouldn't be hard to spend a whole afernoon exploring, playing with the kids, cooking out, reading and listening to the birds.

No comments: