Saturday, June 26, 2010

Biking as Transportation

Been reading some interesting biking blogs lately, as it is fast becoming my passion.  Not racing, just biking.  Despite the fact that a woman crashed into me on the bike trail two weeks ago and I ended up with bloody and purple palms, a sprained left hand, and scrapes, bruises and swelling from my knee down to my ankle --- and this on the knee I've already had two surgeries!  Thank goodness, it appears nothing is damaged inside.

Since the bruises are gone, the swelling almost completely down, and my left hand partially healed, I've jumped on the bike again.  Have to ride kind of one-handed, as the injured hand can't really grasp the handlebar, just rest on it for balance.

But I decided to stay off of the trail yesterday and instead, inspired by one of the blogs, do my errands around town on my bike.

Off I went.  And I have to say, it was fun!  Being on my bike makes me feel like a kid again.  And I like it so much better than walking for exercise, because (1) you cover more ground and see more stuff and (2) no matter how hot it is, biking always generates a little breeze.

So now I'm thinking, "Hmmm, is there a cute little town somewhere like mine, on a lake like mine, but where everyone bikes for local transportation?  I'd like to live there!"  Yeah, probably somewhere in Europe.  Oh, well, it's fun to dream.

(Click to enlarge photos)

Breakfast in town


Little diner with mostly locals as patrons


A stop at the bank and the library to return some DVD's


And along the south end of the lake to the bike/walking path of the neighborhood I used to live in.

No comments: